Friday, February 8, 2019

Once I Pass'd Through a Populous City


Once I Pass'd Through a Populous City

  Once I pass'd through a populous city imprinting my brain for future
      use with its shows, architecture, customs, traditions,
  Yet now of all that city I remember only a woman I casually met
      there who detain'd me for love of me,

From: Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

Whitman's thoughts are with us every day.  Though we've seen many wonderful creatures and places, it's been the people of Colombia that have made the biggest effect on our lives and memories. 

Overall, we've been overwhelmed by the gracious welcoming we've received from all Colombians.  Sure, we're the gringo curiosities...rare indeed in this part of the world, but without exception (and in spite of my still-terrible Spanish) every person we've met has been helpful and accommodating.  I doubt that would have been the case had the situation been reversed in the US.  (I hope that I'd be wrong, and my that my expectations could be higher.)  Everyone here tries to help...even if they have no idea what I need, they still try.  Good on them and thanks!

Let me rethink that.  There's one anonymous group of people that do me no favors.  The drivers of private buses.  Those men are crazed.  I'm sure that I'll write more of them later, but not right now.  Today I'm still quite upset.  Earlier this week the friend of a friend was struck by a bus and killed crossing a street.  Luke and I saw her body lying in the road soon after the accident.   Two hours later, she was still there, uncovered. 

I need to take a break from this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment